Sirloin comes from the French “sur la longe” or above the loin from where it is cut. Our Sirloin Steaks boast the characteristic marbling that explains its reputation for taste and which to a butcher is a sign of the meat’s quality, promising tenderness and flavour when cooked.
How to cook perfect steak
- Season the steak with salt up to 2 hrs before, then with pepper just before cooking.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan until very hot but not smoking.
- Drizzle some oil into the pan and leave for a moment.
- Add the steak, a knob of butter, some garlic and robust herbs, if you want.
- Sear evenly on each side for our recommended time, turning every minute for the best caramelised crust.
- Leave to rest on a board or warm plate for about 5 mins.
- Serve the steak whole or carved into slices with the resting juices poured over
- Blue: 1 min each side.
- Rare: 1½ mins per side.
- Medium rare: 2 mins per side.
- Medium: About 2¼ mins per side.
- Well-done steak: Cook for about 4-5 mins each side
Keep refrigerated. Once open, keep refrigerated and consume within 24hours. Do not exceed the use by date. Always store uncooked meat covered and lower in the fridge than cooked meat. Suitable for freezing. Freeze on day of purchase and consume within 12 months. Defrost thoroughly in a fridge before cooking and use within 24hours. Once defrosted, do not re-freeze
Wash and dry hands thoroughly before and after handling raw or cooked meat.